BWS Ward Avenue Project
The Board of Water Supply (BWS) is working on a water system improvement project to replace of 2,400 feet of distribution pipeline and appurtenances along Ward Avenue from Kapiolani Boulevard to Kinau Street. The BWS understands that Ward Avenue is a highly-traveled thoroughfare and created this web page to provide the community with project and traffic updates. Additionally, customers can call 748-5310 to get voice recordings with the updated information.
The BWS appreciates the community's patience and understanding as we work on this important project that will improve fire protection, reduce the likelihood of emergency main breaks, and enhance water service to residents and businesses in the area.
CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT MAP
PROJECT AND TRAFFIC INFORMATION AS OF May 10, 2013
Please be advised of the following modifications and lane closures. Please observe all construction traffic signs, traffic signals, expect delays, drive with caution, allow for additional travel time, and use alternate routes where possible.
- Working area: Limits of the project is Ward Avenue between Kapiolani Boulevard and Kinau Street.
- Current work area: Ward Avenue between King Street and Hotel Street.
- Type of work:
- Trench restoration work between King Street and Hotel Street
- Installation of nwe water service connections for customers and fire hydrants on Ward Avenue from Kapiolani Boulevard and Hotel Street.
- Testing and chlorination of the new water line on Ward Avenue from Kapiolani Boulevard to Hotel Street.
- Lane closures:
- Ward Avenue:
- One mauka bound lane and one makai bound lane will be open to traffic.
- Hotel Street:
- Depending on the work area the two eastbound or westbound lanes will be closed. As a result the open lanes will be contra flowed to allow for one eastbound and one westbound lane on Hotel Street.
- Beretania Street:
- Incoming traffic from Beretania Street near the Ward Avenue intersection may be impacted due to lane closures on Ward Avenue near Hotel Street.
- There will also be additional closures on Ward Avenue that will vary each day and each shift depending upon the work area. However, a minimum of one lane will be open in each direction for traffic. Special duty police officer(s) will be stationed in the work area to help guide and control traffic. Please observe all traffic signs and drive with caution.
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- The project involves the replacement of 12-inch and 8-inch water mains, and upsizing a 6-inch water main to an 8-inch water main on Ward Avenue from Kinau Street to Kapiolani Boulevard.
- Contractor: RMY Construction, Inc.
- For questions, concerns, or emergencies, contact Community Planning and Engineering, Inc., at 542-7424, the BWS Construction Section at 748-5730 or the BWS Communications Office at 748-5041.